A long-awaited comfort food from the past. We made this in our Weekly Cooking Class!
Pie Crust (recipe from Whole Wheat Oil Free Pie Crust - This Healthy Kitchen)
· ¾ cup almond flour
· ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
· 1 medium ripe avocado, flesh only
· 4 tablespoons unsweetened plant milk
· 1 to 2 tablespoons water (if needed)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine all ingredients, except water, in a food processor. Your dough should start to roll into a ball. If it’s too sticky add 2 tablespoons of pastry flour at a time until it starts to roll into a ball in the processor. Do your best not to over mix! If it’s too dry, add a tablespoon of water at a time.
3. Lightly dust a sheet of parchment with flour. Add dough to parchment and sprinkle with a little bit more flour.
4. Choices: small individual pot pies (ramekins) or one large pie. Divide your dough accordingly.
5. Dust a rolling pin with flour and roll out your dough to the appropriate size. It should be no more than a ¼ inch thick. Lay out on parchment lined baking sheet and pierce with a fork in several places.
6. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the edges are golden. Set aside.
· 1 medium onion, diced
· 3 cloves garlic, minced
· 3 medium carrots, diced
· 3 stalks celery, diced
· 1 medium onion, diced
· 1 bag frozen peas, defrosted
· 2 cups vegetable broth
· Optional: 1 cup soy curls, dry
· 2 cups hot water
· ½ cup raw cashews, soaked and drained
· 1 to 2 tablespoons liquid aminos
· 1 tablespoon onion powder
· 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
· 1 tablespoon chickpea flour
· Black or white pepper to taste
1. Preheat large pot on a medium/medium-high burner. Sauté onion for 2 to 3 minutes using water or vegetable broth. Add garlic, carrots, and celery, sauté for another 2 to 3 minutes. Add remaining vegetable broth and optional soy curls, stirring occasionally, simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes or until all vegetables are fork tender.
2. While vegetables are simmering, add water, cashews, liquid aminos, onion powder, nutritional yeast, and chickpea flour to a blender. Blend for at least 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Add peas and contents of blender to the vegetable mixture and cook, stirring often, until gravy thickens.
4. Pour vegetable gravy mixture into ramekins or pie container of choice and top with pie crust.
5. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes and enjoy!