The glaze in this recipe is glorious and would pair well with whole food grain or noodles. I created it to go on my Eggs-Free Bennies! We made this in our Weekly Cooking Class!
· 1 block extra-firm tofu
· 2 tablespoons soy sauce*
· ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
· 20+ whole cloves or ¼ teaspoon ground
· ¼ cup date sugar**
· 1 tablespoon molasses
· 4 tablespoons water
· 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
· 4 cloves garlic, minced
· ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1. Drain tofu well and press or pat dry.
2. Add soy sauce, liquid smoke (and ground clove if you do not plan to use whole cloves) to a dish with a lid. Whisk well.
3. Score tofu in a crosshatch pattern (see photo below) no deeper than ½ inch.
4. Add tofu to marinade and set aside. Brush or carefully turn periodically. Allow to marinate for at least an hour.
5. When ready to roast, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
6. Place tofu on a parchment lined baking sheet. Add cloves to each of the sections on top of the block (see photo below).
7. Bake for 50 minutes.
8. For glaze, add all ingredients to small saucepan and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes or until slightly thickened. After initial bake, drizzle glaze over tofu and bake another 10 to 15 minutes.
9. Carefully remove cloves. Flipping over may make slicing easier.
*Always choose low sodium options where available. Check those labels to make sure they are the lowest sodium option available.
**Check to make sure that your date sugar contains fiber.