Super warm, savory, and comforting dish.
Ingredients · 1 lb lentils (green, brown, or black)
· 1 ½ cups vegetable or mushroom broth*
· ½ cup onion, diced
· 1 green bell pepper, diced
· 1 cup carrot, diced
· 2 cups potato, diced
· 4 cloves garlic, minced
· 8 ounces tomato sauce*
· 1 teaspoon ground cumin
· 1 teaspoon ground coriander
· 1 bay leaf
· Ground black pepper to taste
1. In a large skillet on medium heat, dry or water sauté onion, green pepper until onion begins to become translucent (2 to 3 minutes).
2. Add garlic, carrots and potatoes and sauté for another minute.
3. Add all tomato sauce, broth, and spices. Stir and then add bay leaf.
4. Cover and bring to a gentle boil and then reduce to low to simmer for about 10 minutes.
5. Remove lid and simmer for another 10 minutes or until carrots and potatoes are fork tender. Most of the liquid should be absorbed.
6. Serve with brown rice and/or a whole wheat or corn tortilla.
*Use a low sodium or no salt added version.
***Shared with permission.***