I like to think of pesto as more of a method than a recipe. Multiple substitution possibilities make this recipe one you can make almost any time! We made pesto “chicken” pasta and mini pizzas with this in our Weekly Cooking Class!
· 2 cups fresh basil (sub spinach or other herb)
· ¼ cup nuts or seeds (pine nuts, pepitas, sunflower seeds, or cashews)
· 1 lemon juiced
· 2 to 3 cloves fresh garlic*
· 3 to 6 tablespoons aquafaba
· ½ avocado
· 1 teaspoon onion powder
· 1 teaspoon garlic powder
· 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
· Optional: pinch of chili or cayenne powder
1. Using a food processor (or go traditional with a mortar and pestle), blend all ingredients until smooth and creamy. Adjust aquafaba (bean water) amount to create desired consistency. Allow to sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
*If fresh garlic is too much for you, substitute with a teaspoon of garlic powder for every clove.