Updated: May 12
The filling sets up beautifully in this healthier version of a holiday favorite! *Crust upgrade*
· 1 cup rolled oats · 4 soaked and drained dates
· 2 tablespoons of date syrup
· 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
· 2 cups cooked sweet potato · ½ cup unsweetened plant milk · 2 tablespoons date syrup* · 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa · 2 tablespoons unsweetened chocolate chips · 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Add rolled oats to a dry blender or food processer, blend until fine.
2. Add the rest of the crust ingredients and blend until smooth.
3. Press crust mixture well onto a pie plate and set aside in refrigerator (use wet fingers if sticky).
4. When cool enough to handle, remove the skins from the sweet potatoes (baked or microwaved, do not boil).
5. Add all filling ingredients except chocolate chips to blender.
6. In a small bowl microwave or double-boil chips until melted, stirring often (remember it can burn, no more than 20 seconds at a time in the microwave).
7. Add melted chocolate to blender and blend until very creamy and smooth.
8. Poor filling onto crust and smooth by tapping and/or with spatula.
9. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
*Note: Date syrup is just pitted medjool dates soaked in water and blended. If you buy your date syrup – make sure it is whole dates blended. One way to check is to see if it contains fiber.