Healthy French Toast Two Ways
These two versions of baked French toast have a sweet soft center and crispy edges. One version is “traditional” single slices, and the other is casserole-style. For more “eggy” flavor/color consider optional ingredients.
Plant Based for Life, www.pbforlife.com
Ingredients (double for casserole):
· 2 tablespoons chickpea flour
· ½ cup almond milk
· 2 tablespoons date syrup
· 1 teaspoon vanilla
· 1 teaspoon cinnamon
· ½ mashed banana
· 4 slices whole grain bread
· Optional: pinch black salt
· Optional: pinch turmeric
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Follow instructions below for either slices or casserole.
3. Bake uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes. (Test softness by gently prodding with a wooden spoon. Should be soft, not squishy).
4. Whisk all ingredients except bread in a flat bottom dish.
5. Soak each slice for at least 20 seconds on each side.
6. Place slices on parchment covered baking sheet.
7. Turn after 10 minutes (will be a little sticky).
For Casserole (double all ingredients):
8. Whisk all ingredients except bread in a medium-sized bowl.
9. Cut bread slices into crouton-sized rectangles.
10. Gently combine liquid mixture and bread cubes until well-coated.
11. Spoon into small oven-safe casserole dish.
Toppings: Fruit, a small quantity of nuts or seeds, or a small amount of date or maple syrup. They are delicious without toppings as well.