Updated: Jun 13, 2020
A super quick decadent treat that has a luscious caramel-like consistency.
Makes ~16 to 24 bites. Ingredients:
· 1 cup raw walnuts · 1 cup Medjool dates · 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa · 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup · 1 pinch salt (optional) Optional Toppings:
· Shredded coconut · Finely chopped walnuts · Chocolate (sauce/shell/powder) *See below for instructions*
1. Add walnuts, dates, cocoa, and salt to food processor until roughly mixed.
2. Drizzle in maple syrup while processing until dough-like consistency achieved. It should be smooth and shiny.
3. Roll into ~1” round bites.
4. Optional: Roll bites in desired topping.
Notes: Bites may be eaten immediately but will be slightly soft. Refrigerate in a covered container for an hour or more for firmer texture. Layer with wax or parchment to prevent sticking.
Chocolate Topping Options: Sauce: Chocolate sauce is easily prepared with unsweetened cocoa and pure maple syrup. Add just enough syrup to gain the preferred consistency. It is very rich. A little goes a long way. Shell: Cocoa powder can be used as a light coating to give the bites a truffle like feeling, but make sure the coating is light because the cocoa is unsweetened and will be slightly bitter tasting. Shell: A hard chocolate shell can be created using a bar of unsweetened (or naturally sweetened with maple syrup for example) melted chocolate. Note: Make sure the bar is at least 70% cocoa and the ingredient list is short, contains no processed sugar, and nothing you cannot pronounce. Chocolate can be melted in a bowl sitting on top of a sauce pan of simmering water or in the microwave. In both cases, watch closely and stir every 15 seconds or so. If unsweetened, add your own maple syrup to taste. Coat the bites in the melted chocolate using two forks to dip and cover them. Place the bites on parchment or wax paper and refrigerate until firm (about an hour).